Race Report!

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
BarbaraT

Race Report!

Post by BarbaraT » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Finished the Kansas City Hospital Hill Half this morning, a bit over 4 months since getting hit by a car while out running. I used a Smart Pace band for the first time, and I think it helped.

Kansas City weather report went back and forth all weekend - first it was going to rain this morning, then it wasn't, then it was...etc. This morning at 6am it said no rain. In fact, zero percent chance during the race period. So, of course it started to rain by mile 5. By mile 8 it had gone from gentle showers to a pretty good downpour, complete with thunder. Which cracked me up as AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" came up on my playlist just then. :)

Kept raining until about mile 11, just in time for the Broadway Hill. This one beats the pants off of the Hospital Hill! The Broadway Hill is a less steep incline, but goes on for about a mile and a half. Slight dip, then the last hill - Trinity Hill. This one is about a 45 degree incline, but a short one. I just walked it.

After that, its all downhill! And takes you past the Federal Reserve Bank. I wanted to stop and make a withdrawal, but they were closed. :lol:

My finish time was 3:13, which was respectable. The medal is huge! And I feel good enough that I'm still vertical and walking about.

I'm very happy and blessed to be able to continue to run. :D
Galloway run/walk/run aficionada
C25k September 2009-October 2009
Route 66 Half-Marathon November 2011
Five more half's since then...and counting!
Meep! Meep!

PhotoBob

Re: Race Report!

Post by PhotoBob » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:58 pm

BarbaraT wrote:My finish time was 3:13, which was respectable.
More than respectable!! Sounds like you had an awesome race!! Great job, Barb!!

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

mish

Re: Race Report!

Post by mish » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Great job!

How did I miss that you got hit by a car while running? That is so scary. Having run the streets of Tulsa this past weekend I can certainly see how it happened.
My Running Blog
Dream big, but allow yourself the opportunity to start small, and have your share of struggles in the beginning. The world's great composers weren't writing symphonies the day they first sat at a piano.

Return to “General”