Prepping for 5K food intake.....

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Janster

Prepping for 5K food intake.....

Post by Janster » Tue May 19, 2015 9:26 pm

What's your method of preparing for a 5K?

I know, it doesn't have to be rocket science..... but I was curious what types of foods you eat specifically for the extra energy?

For the most part...My husband and I regularly run 3 miles every other day since our first 5K in March.

I do notice a difference in certain days (or circumstances) that I'm more energetic while other days its hard just to get thru the entire 3 miles. When I'm energetic, I feel I can go faster..... which, is my goal right now.

Lately, I've been eating a fruit/nut trail mix - a few handfuls here & there. But ultimately, I don't want to eat too much ... or else it defeats the purpose of being healthy? LOL

What's your routine? What do you eat for breakfast before a 5K race at 8am? What time do you eat it ? What's the best to gain the most energy 'feel good' want to go faster food?

Thanks!

PhotoBob

Re: Prepping for 5K food intake.....

Post by PhotoBob » Thu May 21, 2015 1:10 am

I never eat anything more than a banana for any run that's under 10 miles. I know everyone's different, but that's what works for me,

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Janster

Post by Janster » Thu May 21, 2015 11:31 am

PhotoBob wrote:I never eat anything more than a banana for any run that's under 10 miles. I know everyone's different, but that's what works for me,

Bob S.
Thanks Bob!

No 'big' breakfast (per say)?? I've been eating bananas also and a bit of fruit/nut mix and glass of juice for breakfast.

I guess the 5K runs aren't as critical.... ('cept us beginners, it feels critical LOL)

I do have more energy in the morning even if I don't eat anything. It's those 'after work' runs that I'm lacking the energy!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

mish

Post by mish » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:27 pm

This thread is old, but I'll answer anyway.

For that distance I don't know if you need to be eating anything before. Honestly, I think you might be eating too much. The food isn't having any time to digest, unless you're eating a long time before your run, so it's really just going to be pretty heavy in your stomach.

If you're running in the afternoons and lacking energy, try having a snack an hour or so before. In the winter I run in the afternoon and if I eat lunch and no snack I'm definitely more tired. Try a small snack.
My Running Blog
Dream big, but allow yourself the opportunity to start small, and have your share of struggles in the beginning. The world's great composers weren't writing symphonies the day they first sat at a piano.

Return to “General”