C25K treadmill to road work workouts

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
robertf

C25K treadmill to road work workouts

Post by robertf » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi,
New guy here and I hope my question is simple.
Started the c25k on a treadmill because my wife bought one. I am returning to running after years off. I figured if I could chop down trees, cut up and split wood, that was plenty. Now, I would like to do some fun runs with the family....and I get a healthy living rebate on my insurance.
But, always a but....
I go to work in the dark, Come home in the dark. We live up in the hills of upstate New York. There are no side walks where I live. A few houses. No lights. Maniacal drivers. Plus it is the time of year of bone chilling cold and snow/slush/ice covered roads.
The treadmill workouts have been great so far but how will this translate to road work. A run down in the local village on Saturday or Sunday? Anyone, have any experience with interchanging workouts? What should I expect?
Cheers,
Robert

Janster

Re: C25K treadmill to road work workouts

Post by Janster » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi Robert,

I'm in the same boat...started on the treadmill around Christmas. I will eventually need to 'train' on asphalt when the weather gets warmer (I'm a fair weather runner - lol).

My husband and I have actually looked on google maps to look for walking paths in our area (near schools & parks). They vary in length & terrain. On the weekends - if we can withstand the cold, we'll go to each of these walking paths and 'WALK' them the entire length. My husband has a neat App that tracks the distance & terrain of each walking path. Sooner or later when the weather turns warmer - we can pick & choose which walking path to run depending on the length & type of work out you want to achieve.

I'll be curious to know how folks go from treadmill to pavement also.....

robertf

Re: C25K treadmill to road work workouts

Post by robertf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:12 pm

There are a couple of people running in a lil village I commute through in the pre-dawn hours. This morning they were out there in 1F (-17c).

Return to “General”