Let's talk breathing......and whatever else comes up.

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Janster

Let's talk breathing......and whatever else comes up.

Post by Janster » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:56 pm

I'm new.....I just started Week#4 last night. Up to this point, my running has been 'on' or 'off' - meaning - some days it goes well and other days I feel like it was more of an effort. I've been thinking more about my breathing lately...and especially last night. I've done a little research and searched this forum and read some input (but it was scattered to say the least).

Up to now, I haven't paid much attention to what's going on while running. Every once in a while, I think about my posture, how my feet are contacting the surface, how my arms are swinging, how much I lift my legs, breathing...etc. But for the most part - I try not to think of anything and I want this to just be a 'natural' thing cuz I don't want to have to think about anything while running. Did that make sense?

But...I know I have to. Breathing.... I'm breathing thru my mouth (always open). I've been breathing pretty deeply. Sometimes during my runs, it feels natural and rythmic. While other times, I feel I'm struggling to get enough air. No pains or anything. I do have a history of allergies, minor asthma, etc. For the most part, I don't think this is a health issue but would like to start thinking about it before it could become one.... especially as I move forward.

I've read about taking 3-2 breathe approach..... not inhale or exhale on the same foot stride, etc. Again - I haven't paid much attention to any of that. I've been just 'breathing' ...lol

Should I start paying attention to when my breathes are falling? How many steps I'm taking while inhaling/exhaling normally? I'm only going 4.2mph. I can't possibly go any slower or I'll be 'fast walking'. Or could I? Any tests I could perform at home to give me an idea of what I'm doing or doing wrong?

Do any of you guys/gals ever get special tests done (as precautionary measure) just to see how your heart performs specifically for running purposes? Not concerned really.... but ... I'm also not afraid to pay $ to have something done if it'll tell me some important health info that could be very valuable.

What have you gone thru - in terms of breathing? Suggestions...thoughts.... I'm hoping this is just a 'growing' issue and eventually, it'll work itself out as my body gets used to this new thing. But....doesn't hurt to ask!

THANKS again for all the help! It's fun just to talk about it...

PhotoBob

Re: Let's talk breathing......and whatever else comes up.

Post by PhotoBob » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:52 pm

I kind of "trained" myself to breathe on alternate foot strikes (usually 4-5 or 3-4) to the point that it now comes natural. I never think of it unless I feel that I'm struggling for no real reason - then I will concentrate to get my breathing in check.

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Janster

Post by Janster » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:11 pm

PhotoBob wrote:I kind of "trained" myself to breathe on alternate foot strikes (usually 4-5 or 3-4) to the point that it now comes natural. I never think of it unless I feel that I'm struggling for no real reason - then I will concentrate to get my breathing in check.

Bob S.
Thanks Bob!

Our friend, who introduced us to C25K.... (who's run full marathons) tells me that he breathes every 2 steps. ??? which goes against what I've read. He goes pretty fast too.....

Oh well.....it's probably not rocket science and I just need to find my own rhythm. I really and truly tend to over-think things sometimes! LOL

Janster

Post by Janster » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:42 pm

I think I was taking longer shallow breathes ....

The other day, I started to breathe shorter intervals but more aggressively taking air in on each one. That seemed to help ...as I felt more energetic (not exhausted).

Moving along on D2 / W4 - I continued to breathe quicker. I want to find a rhythm, to keep that breathing pace going. Sometimes if I'm not paying attention...I'll catch myself taking longer breathes again. It's amazing how much your breathing can change how you feel....as you run. I can certainly feel a difference.

Crossing fingers (as I progress!)

Thanks for listening !! And Thanks for the support!

Return to “General”