How Do I Use c25k to increase my speed?

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Cantbelieveiluv2run

How Do I Use c25k to increase my speed?

Post by Cantbelieveiluv2run » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:36 pm

I have one more workout and I'm done with c25k (hurray)! I live in a very hilly area. Though I've about finished the program, I haven't reached farther than 2.77 miles, and that includes running through my five minute cool-down time. (I then walk .3 miles up my steep driveway as my cool down. I plan to run my first 5k in November, but would like to monitor myself by distance instead of time, to ensure I can actually RUN the full 5k. The only place I have to run is in the road with continuous hills, which I can't seem to complete within 40 minutes. Also note that my 2.77 miles includes my 5 minute walking warm up, so I'm actually only running 2.3 miles. Help!

Mae Lynn

Re: How Do I Use c25k to increase my speed?

Post by Mae Lynn » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:45 pm

In my experience, speed comes with time and just more and more running. Right now you are working on being able to run 5k. Be patient with yourself right now, run a pace that is comfortable. I know it sounds simple, but some things really are that simple. The more your body gets used to running, say a 5k, the better it will get at it and the faster you will be. I promise!

Oh, and as for the hills? Embrace them! Get used to them. Train on them all the time. Pretend there's no such thing as a flat course. Then when you run a flat 5k you will feel like Shalane Flanagan!
9/28/14 HM PR Traveler Beer New England Half 2:18:50
11/17/13 5k PR 29:45 5/17/14 10k PR 61:31

Half Fanatic # 6624

niblue

Post by niblue » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:27 am

Cantbelieveiluv2run wrote:I have one more workout and I'm done with c25k (hurray)! I live in a very hilly area. Though I've about finished the program, I haven't reached farther than 2.77 miles, and that includes running through my five minute cool-down time. (I then walk .3 miles up my steep driveway as my cool down. I plan to run my first 5k in November, but would like to monitor myself by distance instead of time, to ensure I can actually RUN the full 5k. The only place I have to run is in the road with continuous hills, which I can't seem to complete within 40 minutes. Also note that my 2.77 miles includes my 5 minute walking warm up, so I'm actually only running 2.3 miles. Help!
I don't think many people will have got to the point of completing 5K during the running intervals in C25K - I certainly didn't. I did run 5K several times in the later weeks but only by extending the sessions including running the warm-up and cool-down walks, and that was on the flat. If anything the fact you're running in a hilly area will be a good thing in the long run, as it'll make you a stronger runner!

If you're worried about your ability to run 5K (although it doesn't sound like you really need to be) then it might be worth trying to locate a flatter area for a test run, even if it means driving to get there.

On using C25K to increase speed I think some people on finishing C25K then start again, but with increased speed in the running intervals and maybe jogging the walk intervals, as a sort of interval programme to promote better 5K speed.
1 mile PB: 08:23
5K PB: 28:21
10K PB: 01:05:16
Longest run: 13.2km
C25K grad: 3rd July 2014

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Yep - what he said! ^^^^^^^^^

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Return to “General”