re starting c25k

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
mrsphs

re starting c25k

Post by mrsphs » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:21 pm

I am coming up on my 3 year runiversary, and have been seriously slacking in the running department lately. I Started c25k Aug of 2011 and fell in love with running. I completed the program, went on to do One Hour Runner and then trained for and ran a half marathon. I loved almost every minute of it. I started to train for the same half the following year and had some fairly serious IT band issues and didn't run the half that year. I kind of fell off the wagon for a time. Then I decided to train for a beginner Triathlon, but life got in the way and I didn't do it. I have been exercising off and on - mostly beach body programs, and always with the thought that overall better conditioning would help the IT band and I could return to running.

I have missed running. I think about it often, but something always comes up.

I have not been eating right or exercising with much consistency for a while and have gained a few pounds. I felt like I really didn't know what I wanted to do or where to start. So last night I decided that I would just start c25k again. I used to read about people who completed the program and stopped running and had to start over. I never thought that would be me, since I was enjoying the running so much. But, here I am. It worked before, I know it will work again. I probably didn't have to start on week one, but I did. I plan to continue with a good cross training schedule.

I have always enjoyed these boards, and check in on occasion, so I thought I would stop by, say hello!
Aug 23-Oct 21 2011 C25K
Dec 2, 2011 1st 60 min run

St. Pat Day 5k 34:32

D2D June 2 - 2:40:59 (Garmin time 2:33:15)
D2D 5k 6-1-13 39:55

"Most people start their day with a cup of coffee. We are not most people."
Longest run - 13.1 miles

Bonbey

Re: re starting c25k

Post by Bonbey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Yay!!! You're back! I'm so happy to see you here! :D
Bonnie
-----
5K PR: 32:26
10K PR: 1:09:35
HM PR: 2:34:14
FM PR: 6:06:04

If it was easy, everyone would do it. But it's hard, and YOU DID IT! - suzann

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Good to see you posting again!!

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

someoldman

Post by someoldman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:46 pm

I want to add my Welcome Back! too.
"Running should be a lifelong activity. Approach it patiently and intelligently, and it will reward you for a long, long time."
-Michael Sargent

ta64

Post by ta64 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Me too – completed C25K in 2011, ran a number of 5Ks, started getting faster and lost almost 60 lbs through a combination of running and diet (calorie counting on MFP). Winter knocked me back the first two winters, but I actually managed to continue with a reduced running schedule through last winter after run-walking my first half last year. However, it all fell apart under the pressure of scrambling to finish grad school through the spring and summer, including the diet (regained 20 lbs!). I have much less resistance when (a) under stress, and (b) not exercising. Of course, had I continued the latter, the former would have been less of an issue. Anyway, after trying to force myself to do 5K distances from almost no running through summer, I arrived at the conclusion that I should restart C25K last week; I have Week 2, Day 3 on deck for today. When I attempt runs I can handle, it's great. Counting calories isn’t quite as much fun, but when I’m successful it is. I’m putting a couple of 5Ks on the calendar for later in the fall, and revisiting the long-term goals.

Return to “General”