Red face

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Swifts

Red face

Post by Swifts » Wed May 21, 2014 8:26 pm

I am a beginner I have entered the great north run for charity but I am having problems getting past 20 minutes
My face is bright red, any ideas why this would be or any tips/hints to help.

PhotoBob

Re: Red face

Post by PhotoBob » Wed May 21, 2014 8:58 pm

It's a natural thing for some people - like me - that whenever I exercise, my face gets really, really red!! There's really nothing you can do about it, but it may fade as your fitness level increases.

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

WolfsLady

Post by WolfsLady » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:14 am

I have that red face thing going on when I run. When I just get hot. It's no fun. I carry a cloth and pour some ice water on it trying to help but I'm not sure it helps with the red. It does help me to not feel so hot though.

The best advice I can give for getting over a hump is to not try to go very much further. Just a little further. That's been my motto for this program. Well since the 2nd or 3rd time I started it. :) Here is my trick. When I start feeling like I can't run much further - I pick a spot that I KNOW I can make it to if I really push myself. It might be a mailbox pretty far up the road or it might be a tree that's 100 steps. I just have to be sure that I can make it there. And then I run to it. Except when I'm almost there I look up the road and I pick a new spot that I KNOW I can make it to, but I'm not sure that I can make it any further. It might be the same distance or it might be much closer. And then I run to it. Except... Well you get the idea. It's amazing what you can do when you take it a little at a time. It's amazing how many times you can pick another spot when you were sure that the spot you picked was all the further you could make it. One day I started running and I just wasn't feeling it. I wanted to quit at less than 1/2 a mile. I set a goal to try and make to the 1 mile mark (I'm really slow so that's about 15 minutes for me) but I wasn't sure I could so I decided to just take it a little at a time. I made it past the 2 mile mark for the first time that day. I've never been able to make it past the 3 mile mark running. Well not yet. But I've never gotten past where I started having to use that trick by the 2 mile mark. And I was getting close last time. Although I'd say by the time I hit 2 1/4 miles my jog is so slow it's more like a shuffle. LOL I will get there. Hopefully when I start back in the next 2 weeks nothing will sideline me again. I was so close last time. I hope this helps you.

talenetx

Post by talenetx » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Don't worry if you can't get past 20 minutes. Don't let that stop you from running your first 5k if you already signed up for it and by the time you get there that's where you are, then that's where you are. I ended up running 5 minutes/walking 1 minute through my whole first 5k. Nobody cared, and I was not the last one finished. The only person you are competing with is yourself. Use your first 5k time as a benchmark and work toward running farther for the next one!

OkieGirl

Post by OkieGirl » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:51 pm

I'm a "red face" too. Glad to know it's not completely uncommon 8-)
"You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."Zig Ziglar

Started C25K: 9.19.2014
1K PB: 06:48
1 mile PB: 10:57
5K PB: N/A
10K PB: N/A

Return to “General”