Running Socks!!??

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Janster

Running Socks!!??

Post by Janster » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi Gang,

I did a quick search and didn't see any posts on 'socks' and what everyone recommends. I visited a local 'outdoors' shop looking for non-cotton socks but all I found was all wool. I've been told to look for nylon.....

What do you recommend?

I'm a 'fair weather' jogger.... (I hate the cold weather), so I don't need anything thick. My feet need all the help & caressing I can give them to make them happy, so I'm not afraid to pay for a good quality sock.

Thanks!
Merry Christmas everyone!

PhotoBob

Re: Running Socks!!??

Post by PhotoBob » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Go to the sock section of any department store and you're sure to find a wide selection of running socks. I mostly wear the department store brand (in this case - Meijer), but I also have some Nike socks that are nice, too.

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Janster

Post by Janster » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Do the department stores carry 'all nylon' socks?

Everything I've browsed in my area are cotton. I guess I haven't been looking hard enough or they're probably all 'picked out' (womens socks). That's my luck with almost everything I'm looking for.

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:39 pm

I just checked and none of my running socks are "100% nylon". They are part nylon, part polyester and part elastin(?) - and some even have a bit of cotton in them. As long as they are not 100% cotton, you should be fine - cotton is rotten.

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Janster

Post by Janster » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 pm

PhotoBob wrote:I just checked and none of my running socks are "100% nylon". They are part nylon, part polyester and part elastin(?) - and some even have a bit of cotton in them. As long as they are not 100% cotton, you should be fine - cotton is rotten.

Bob S.
Thanks Bob!

I was trying to keep it somewhat economical...... It's hard for me to pay $12 for one pair of socks. I did find some others, less expensive, 87% nylon, spandex and polyester. So....they seem fine!!

skybyrd

Post by skybyrd » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:15 am

Just started C25K, will be on day3, week2....so far so good. I live in Minnesota, so the cold weather is coming. Should I be wearing wool socks once the weather really gets cold? So far am liking this off the couch routine. I just bought new shoes and hope it makes the training a little easier. I started with 4yr old shoes......ouch my knees were killing me. Hope to run a turkey 5K, but not sure I will be ready.
Thanks for any advice!!

PS I have been using the Vidku app to video log my experience. It's awesome! Check it out!

Return to “Equipment, Gear, Clothing Reviews”