Running first long distance race

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Aorezechowski

Running first long distance race

Post by Aorezechowski » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi I'm training for Philadelphia Broad street 10 miler, it my first time running it. I have a couple training question.

1. Any suggestions on training on a treadmill?(If I really can't get out to run due to cold weather or other weather conditions)
2. I've managed to run about 5 miles and after that I start to easily get winded and need to stop to catch my breath. Does stopping during my long runs affect any progress that I'm making?

PhotoBob

Re: Running first long distance race

Post by PhotoBob » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:54 pm

Aorezechowski wrote:Hi I'm training for Philadelphia Broad street 10 miler, it my first time running it. I have a couple training question.

1. Any suggestions on training on a treadmill?(If I really can't get out to run due to cold weather or other weather conditions)
Set the treadmill's incline up slightly (1-2%, or more if you can handle it) - this will help to somewhat simulate and outdoor run. But in reality, nothing compares to a real outdoor run.
Aorezechowski wrote:2. I've managed to run about 5 miles and after that I start to easily get winded and need to stop to catch my breath. Does stopping during my long runs affect any progress that I'm making?
I would suggest slowing down and gradually adding distance (at the slower pace). Eventually, you will be able to run the farther distance at a faster pace. As for stopping - there are entire run/walk programs out there for everything from a 5k run to a full marathon. Lots of folks swear by doing a run/walk programs. Look up John "The Penguin" Bingham on Runner's World - he's the king of run/walk programs. http://www.runnersworld.com/person/john ... in-bingham

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Return to “Progress Reports”