Tim's Progress Report

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Bonbey

Re: Tim's Progress Report

Post by Bonbey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Glad to see you posting! My 2 year runnaversary was Sunday. I've been stuck inside on the treadmill so much this winter, but I'm glad to finally be getting outside. I hope your ankles are feeling better after that icy run!
Bonnie
-----
5K PR: 32:26
10K PR: 1:09:35
HM PR: 2:34:14
FM PR: 6:06:04

If it was easy, everyone would do it. But it's hard, and YOU DID IT! - suzann

tps

Post by tps » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:59 pm

With all the bad weather we've had, coupled with the fact that I will not run on the treadmill, my training is behind where it was at this time last year, so maybe I should re-title this my "regression" report. Today was the first 5K race of the season, The Sunshine Run in Brookhaven. Given my current level of training. my goal was to run under 12 m/m. I finished in 34:40 which came to 11:10 m/m. Linda did better at 32:11, 10:21 m/m. My goal for the season is to work down to a 30 minute 5K.

What was funny was that this was the first race in which I won an award! I came in second out of 2 in my age group. Usually there are tons of male runners in my age group with times significantly under 30 minutes, but I think the field was rather small today because of the bad weather we've had over the past couple months.

The weather was near perfect this morning, just above 40 degrees and cloudy. Here's hoping we'll have a lot more of this weather so I can get my mileage ramped up for Broad Street. Last year I got my 5K time to just under 32 minutes. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I was doing higher weekly mileage before the bad weather started this winter...
Graduation: C25K 2012/05/22, B210K 2012/09/07
2013/11/09 Puma 5K 31:58
2013/10/20 Detroit Free Press Half Marathon 2:43:18

Bonbey

Post by Bonbey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:08 pm

So glad to see you back at it, Tim! You'll be back to your regular self soon. Enjoy the age group wins whenever they happen!
Bonnie
-----

pixie

Post by pixie » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:12 am

I totally hear you about the winter slump, but look what you pulled off despite not feeling like you kept in shape this winter! I'm really impressed you beat your own pace goal (and the award as the cherry on top!) Good job!!
C25K completed 9/05/11
B210K completed 10/25/11

Currently:
trying to stick to a regular 25+ mpw
not so much looking forward to Winter
getting bored with Coursera and radiolab...

Longest run so far: 15.7 miles :)

StephanieZ

Post by StephanieZ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:57 am

How is the running, going, Tim? Is the nicer weather making things more pleasant? It was a hell of a winter, eh? I guess it is just as well I wasn't running this winter, as our house got probably 90+ inches of snow this winter, and lots and lots of days and even weeks when running outside would have been impossible. So, if I'd been running, or on a plan, I'd have just been whining all the time. :)
They're making that sh!t up! I'm not scary!
Began c25k 8/31/10, GRAD 10/23/10. GRAD b210k 12/2/10. 1st HM 6/4/11. 1st FM 5/6/12.
PRs: HM 2:11:12 10k 57:30 FM 5:02:57
http://couch2marathonmom.blogspot.com/
Current Agenda: Working my mileage back up after a long lay off in 2013

tps

Post by tps » Tue May 06, 2014 2:57 am

Well, my longest run before Broad Street was 8.88 miles, according to runkeeper. I had 2 others just over 8 miles, but I never made it to 10 this year. With all the bad weather we had, I just never got the distance ramped up like I did last year, but even during the worst of winter, I never stopped running completely. There was never a week when I didn't get out at least a time or two.

This past week I was tapering and on Friday Linda and I just went up the runway and back at Warminster, about 1.5 miles. But the good thing: when we got back, we had done that 1.5 miles at 9:48 pace! So maybe there is hope for my goal of a 30 minute 5K this year.

Saturday Linda and I took the train to the expo at the Convention Center to pick up our packets. She stay in town with her daughter, babysitting her grandkids that night, while I came back home. (For those of you who are my Facebook friends, you got to see the pictures of me fixing my neighbor Jenny's Macbook that night.) I got maybe 5 hours of sleep, then got up, got ready, and took the train to Fern Rock, and walked about 0.5 miles to the starting corral at Olney. That walk was really a great idea. It felt good and I wish I could have just continued up to the starting line and took off.

Around 7:30 our group met up by the "Einstein sign" in front of the medical center, right next to the Pink corral where all of us slowpokes start. We talked for a while, then a couple of the faster people in our group left to get to their corrals. About that time, we slowpokes decided to get in the very long porta-potty lines. Well the 8:30 AM start time came and went, and we were still in line. I kept looking back over my shoulder to see if there was much movement in the pink corral. We finally made it to the potties about 9AM, and when we got out most of the pink corral had already crossed the starting line. But we joined at the (then rear) of the pack and walked fairly quickly the 2 blocks to the start lines. (There was still a big crowd coming and going at the potties. We crossed the start line at 9:10AM, 5 minutes later than last year. Not sure how much later they kept that starting line open...)

Anyway, after crossing the start line Linda and I stayed together for the first couple miles. Then I wanted to walk the block before the first water stop and she wanted to keep running, so I told her to go ahead. I think that kinda foreshadowed the way I would do the rest of the race. Rather than run at a (slower) steady pace, I would run a while and tire myself out, walk a block or so to recover, and repeat the process for the rest of the race. This is what I've done in my somewhat abbreviated training this spring, so I guess it makes sense it would happen in the race. My total time for the race was 2:14:28. A few minutes slower than last year, but given that I was not near as well trained as last year, I'll take it.

Bonbey

Post by Bonbey » Tue May 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Yay! Congratulations on the race! How are you feeling now?
Bonnie
-----

tps

Post by tps » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Well, it's been a while! I was fully intending to do the HM at Detroit this year, but it was not to be. Right at the time I should have been training the office where I work decided to relocate. Among other duties, I'm the (only) IT person, so this was a long few months for me. Our sister company that has shared space with us for 15 years moved to the Northwest side of town, and we moved to the far east side of town. I had to set up all the network and phone arrangements at both offices.

The good thing is that the new office is right next to the south end of the Delaware Canal Trail, which I plan to explore. The trail goes north for many miles. As a matter of fact, I the first HM I did last year was about 20 miles north of here on that same trail. Unfortunately there are no showers at the office building, so I guess I'll have to try running here on the weekend when I can just go home when I'm done. The office itself is in an old mill building on the top floor. There is a cathedral ceiling with structural wooden beams above the cubicle area (in fact, in almost every part of the office). It is beautiful!

As the schedule has slacked off a bit at work, I've been getting out a couple times a week for 3 to 4 miles. Right now the weather is great, so I'm hoping I can ramp up a bit and take advantage of this beautiful time of year.

tps

Post by tps » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Still getting out a couple times a week for 3 to 4 miles. But I've still been tired from work. While the office move slacked up a while back, I've been getting caught up on what I wasn't doing during the move. But that's slacking off, too. So I think I will see about adding another day to the mix, getting out 3 times a week. I was out with the meetup group today. I did the first 3/4 mile at 10 m/m (fast for me) and had to slow down for the rest. Linda has said she might have time to run the Parks and the first subdivision loop Wednesday morning. We may be walking some, but at least we'll try to cover the distance. I'd like to ramp up slowly, but hopefully I can be more ready when the spring comes that I was last year. I think I also need to do some interval training. It's been a while since I've done that!

It will be fun to get myself back out of the slump caused by all my recent work activities.

mish

Post by mish » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:47 pm

tps wrote:Still getting out a couple times a week for 3 to 4 miles. But I've still been tired from work. While the office move slacked up a while back, I've been getting caught up on what I wasn't doing during the move. But that's slacking off, too. So I think I will see about adding another day to the mix, getting out 3 times a week. I was out with the meetup group today. I did the first 3/4 mile at 10 m/m (fast for me) and had to slow down for the rest. Linda has said she might have time to run the Parks and the first subdivision loop Wednesday morning. We may be walking some, but at least we'll try to cover the distance. I'd like to ramp up slowly, but hopefully I can be more ready when the spring comes that I was last year. I think I also need to do some interval training. It's been a while since I've done that!

It will be fun to get myself back out of the slump caused by all my recent work activities.
A 10 minute mile is great!

Ramping up slowly is the best idea IMO. Injuries are no fun.
My Running Blog
Dream big, but allow yourself the opportunity to start small, and have your share of struggles in the beginning. The world's great composers weren't writing symphonies the day they first sat at a piano.

Return to “Progress Reports”