W6D3 - Done!

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
rfmf23a

W6D3 - Done!

Post by rfmf23a » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:59 am

Well, if someone would have told me that on March 2, 2016 that I would walk for 5 minutes, RUN FOR 22 MINUTES, and then walk for 5 minutes, I would have thought they were just silly. I really can't believe it, but I finished W6D3 tonight. In both W5 and W6, I did W5D2 and W6D2 twice before getting up the courage to tackle the big run at the end (20 minutes in Week 5, then 22 minutes in Week 6). I'm not running fast (4.3 on treadmill at .5% incline), but I'm definitely running. Looking ahead, when I finish, it will be more of a "run for 30 minutes" accomplishment as opposed to a 5K, but everything I've read suggests that running for 30 minutes is the hard part. For those of you that read this down the road, the C25K program really does work and for me, the long-timed runs were more of a mental block than a physical block. In every long run, there seemed to be some mental point where I just had to will myself to get past ... and once my brain realized that I wasn't going to stop running, the remaining minutes were not so hard. Of course I was exhausted at the end, but for me, in each of the long runs so far, there was definitely some mental point that I had to get past.

PhotoBob

Re: W6D3 - Done!

Post by PhotoBob » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:55 am

Congrats on making it this far! Most folk are more of the "run 30 minutes" crown instead of the "run a 5k" crowd, but that's okay - you'll get there!!

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

rfmf23a

Post by rfmf23a » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Well, it was back to W5D3 for me, so for purposes of encouragement for those reading later on, here is the story.

Shortly after finishing W6D3 (nearly there!), I caught a cold. One of those nasty little winter colds (yes, even here in San Diego) and I was really not able to do any jogging for ~3+ weeks. Then, I essentially forgot everything I learned in the first 5 weeks of the program and jumped on the treadmill and tried to pound out a 20+ minute run. I made it, but what I didn't realize is that I was running with horrific form, hunched over, barely keeping up, etc. So, this resulted in some soreness in my back which then meant another 7 days off the program. I realized that jumping back on and thinking I could run at the same levels like nothing had happened so early in my fitness building was silly. So, in the spirit of slow, slow, slow, slow, I dropped all the way back to W5D1. I did W5D1 twice, then did W5D2 twice, and then finally finished W5D3 on this week. I'll now move back to W6 and get myself back to where I was before the little cold germs got me.

So, what is my lesson so far? Don't overdue it (or you will get hurt) and remember "slow, slow, slow" and everyone will hit roadblocks along the way. I think the program is a great way to safely get you to the 30 minutes of jogging, but you have to respect the program's structure which helps you break down your mental blocks while not pushing yourself too far physically.

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Sorry to hear that you've have so many problems, but I'm glad to hear that you're back at it and you didn't give up (a lot of folks would have)!!

Hang in there!

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

rfmf23a

Post by rfmf23a » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks Bob!

I'm so happy with what I've achieved so far, I'm definitely going to keep going. While the 4-5 week setback wasn't great, I'm glad it came near the end because getting as far as I did was encouraging. And I learned my lesson about how quickly some of your training endurance can fade if you don't keep it up ... so it's still been a great experience all around.

I just finished up repeating W6D1, so onwards I go!

Return to “Progress Reports & Introductions”