Just starting today!

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
beesbees

Just starting today!

Post by beesbees » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Hey all, just turned 25. Realised I have allowed myself, through a new sedentary job 10+hrs a day and too much drinking at the weekends to get very unfit and shocked myself when I weighed myself for the first time in about a year to realise I'd put on over a stone in weight!! Now at 5' 9" (1.75m) around 12 stone 3 lbs (171lbs for Americans, 77.5 kgs if you're everywhere else apart from the UK and US ;) ) so well in the realms of "overweight" and need to change.

I feel pretty terrible and lethargic most of the time too. I used to be a postman so never had to think about exercise as I was walking up and down hills carrying heavy bags all day and managed to keep reasonably fit without any effort, but now sitting a desk and doing no regular exercise has taken its toll. Aside from getting annoyed at what I've allowed to happen, I suddenly woke up this morning in a really positive frame of mind after trying to get myself into it the last month or so, as I've been feeling pretty down about it for the last few months. I've changed my diet and have completely cut out the daily graze on snacks and biscuits I used to do. Now I stick rigidly to mealtimes and try to keep them as balanced as possible.

I've done the first day this morning and whilst I certainly felt it after, I managed to complete it with no major drama and no stopping in the periods of "jogging" (a total distance of 2.45 miles with 1.1 of that being jogging in the 20 mins according to the app I'm using which seems fairly accurate judging by where I went) so that is encouraging as I was expecting to be dying after the first minute of jogging and makes me wonder why didn't I start before?!

I've also rejoined a 5-a-side football team I used to play with a few years ago. So my aim is to carry on with this and get a good base level in preparation for next summer and next autumn for the new football season.

My logic is if I can do it in the dark rainy muddy winter, by the time the long summer evenings come round I can be completely up for it!! No great expectations at first but if I keep chipping away I hope I start noticing the difference. Sorry about the long rambling post, but feel I needed to put it down somewhere and tell someone even though the forum doesn't seem that active :lol:

AimLabaim

Re: Just starting today!

Post by AimLabaim » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Hi beesbees!

There are a few of us on here that encourage each other. I am starting W9 tomorrow, and I am so surprised at what my body has been able to do! Sounds like you have plenty of motivation...congrats on a great W1D1!

Make sure you let us know how it's going :)

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Welcome aboard and congrats on starting!

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Kaz

Post by Kaz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:33 am

Hey beesbees - welcome to the forum, sounds like you're off to a great start.
beesbees wrote:if I can do it in the dark rainy muddy winter
You obviously like a challenge then :lol: - hope the last few days of wetter weather haven't put you off yet !!

beesbees

Post by beesbees » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome! :D

It's helpful to read other people's stories on here, some sense that it is all possible :)

Finished W1D3 this morning! It might be psychological but found it a lot better today than just 5 short days ago. I think I'm beginning to work out my breathing and pace - was slower today but more comfortable and felt better after. Have to admit it was a struggle on Saturday as was still feeling it a little bit from the Thursday but managed to complete!

Kaz - its actually been fairly dryish here so hasn't put me off just yet... Though i got used to it, up to two years ago I was that postman you always see in shorts when it's snowing. :lol:

AimLabaim

Post by AimLabaim » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:03 am

Great job on week 1! I had serious doubts about my ability to complete the program when I first started. I thought I would just see how far I could get...but if you trust the program, you will be able to do it. I have my last run in the workout on Wednesday and I can't believe how great it feels to run now. I dreaded the workouts until I got to the continuous runs. I have never been a runner before and always said I never would be a runner because I thought I just wasn't good at it. Now I know that I just needed the right training program.

Anyway, long story short...it really works!! Keep at it!

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Congrats on getting through Week 1!! Keep up the great work!

Bob S.

gilcd85

Post by gilcd85 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:48 am

Hi beesbees, I started C25K in a very similar shape - just a few years older than you.. I never ran or trained before I started this program - ever.
When I started I didn't even have running shoes and was reluctant to buy a pair because I didn't think I could keep up with this program.
I barely finished one minute of running on week 1.

Yesterday I ran 20 straight minutes (week 5 day 3) and it wasn't even hard :)
This program works - just keep up and go slow.. Good luck!

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:05 am

gilcd85 wrote:Yesterday I ran 20 straight minutes (week 5 day 3) and it wasn't even hard :)
This program works - just keep up and go slow.. Good luck!
Congrats on the 20-min run!! And your advice is spot-on!!

Bob S.

gilcd85

Post by gilcd85 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Progress Reports & Introductions”