Starting W5D1 tomorrow!

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
AimLabaim

Re: Starting W5D1 tomorrow!

Post by AimLabaim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Ok, so today was W7D1. Two things I learned today:

1 - I really prefer to run in the morning. I went after lunch today because that's when my husband could go with me. That doesn't seem like the optimal time for me.

2 - Kind of goes hand in hand with number 1. I shouldn't run on a somewhat full stomach! I had sushi for lunch, so nothing too heavy, but still not ideal.

Wait, I just thought of a third thing. Running gets rid of headaches. Is that really a thing or was it a coincidence? I had a bad headache to start and my body was achy, but feels better now. Go figure.

Today was tough, but I did it!!

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Congrats on getting through W7D1!!

1 & 2 - I cannot run after I eat - I will throw up or get severe heartburn. I also cannot have anything liquid that's too acidic (orange juice, etc.) for the same reasons. During the week, I run after work, but that's a good 3-4 hours after I've eaten lunch and I don't eat a large lunch to begin with. On the weekend, when I do my longest run of the week, I run in the morning after eating a banana or some yogurt - nothing too heavy - and that's enough to get me through any run up to about 10 miles or so without any additional fuel.

3. Running always relieves my stress headaches, tight neck and tight shoulders! If I've had a bad day at work and my head is pounding from stress or I feel like my neck and shoulders are all bunched up - a good run will relieve the pain because it relaxes me. Works every time! Running also helps with being pissed off at the world - you just can't stay mad after a run and it also gives you time to think!!

Running is very beneficial and not just physically!!

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Kaz

Post by Kaz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Hay AimL - well done on W7D1 :D. Knew you'd do it!! Not sure about you, but it was the last couple of minutes which nearly did for me on the same run? Glad to say though that they're getting easier as the week is progressing :D .

I've mainly been running in the morning, just because that fits better with the rest of my activities. Mid week it's normally an hour or two after breakfast and at the weekend, its before. Luckily haven't tried running on a full stomach, but think it would be pretty uncomfortable as I really struggled the one time I ate breakfast within half an hour of a yoga class :shock: .
PhotoBob wrote: I run after work
I'm so glad that am not having to do running in the evening after work, as do not think would have the will power to go out after a long day, especially now that it will be dark in the evenings as the clocks change over here in the UK this weekend. I really struggled when I had to go up the yard to ride after a long day at the office. Luckily I am taking some time off work (had a bit of a life's too short moment earlier in the year) so I can please myself what time I decide to go.

How about you AimL - do you have to fit your running around a work schedule?

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:20 pm

Kaz wrote:I'm so glad that am not having to do running in the evening after work, as do not think would have the will power to go out after a long day, especially now that it will be dark in the evenings as the clocks change over here in the UK this weekend.
I start work at 6:30am and, on running days, I leave at 3:30pm so I have plenty of time to get in a run before it gets dark - even after the time change. This morning (Saturday) I was out before the sunrise so I got to see the sun come up, the street lights go off, the clouds roll in, and the rain come down! I got caught in a lightly falling rain while running through the peak of fall color!! It was a really good run!

Bob S.

Kaz

Post by Kaz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:42 am

PhotoBob wrote:I was out before the sunrise so I got to see the sun come up, the street lights go off, the clouds roll in, and the rain come down! I got caught in a lightly falling rain while running through the peak of fall color!! It was a really good run!
Very poetic Bob - if that doesn't encourage someone to go running, nothing will :D

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:18 am

Kaz wrote:Very poetic Bob - if that doesn't encourage someone to go running, nothing will :D
Thank you! That is what it was supposed to represent, so I'm glad you "got it"! :)

Because I don't listen to music (or even wear headphone most of the time), my mind tends to wonder and I create stories and/or poems in my head. One of my favorites from a few years ago was a haiku:

Lungs burn like fire
Hot breath turns to crystal fog
Winter run at dawn

Yep - I'm a little weird that way!

Bob S.

Kaz

Post by Kaz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Hey AimL - how's week 7 going - are you still hanging in there?

AimLabaim

Post by AimLabaim » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi guys! Sorry, I have been so busy getting costumes ready for trick-or-treating here, plus both of my kids have missed a day of school this week. It's been a little crazy!

That being said, I completed W7 yesterday and I will start W8 tomorrow. I am looki forward to completing the program and having a little more flexibility with my runs. I honestly can't believe how far I have come. It's been so empowering!

Kaz, I hope your Achilles is feeling better. Congrats on getting into W8!!

Bob, I love that haiku! It makes me want to get out there and run! I can certainly identify with the lungs burning like fire.

Have a great weekend!!

Kaz

Post by Kaz » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:44 pm

Sounds like you've had a busy week AimL - so congrats on completing W7 with all you've had going on.

Hope the kids enjoy their trick-or-treating (think it's a bigger deal over in the US than it is here, but the shops seem to have more costumes and Halloween paraphernalia each year, so maybe we're catching on :lol:).

Good luck for w8 :D.

AimLabaim

Post by AimLabaim » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:37 am

W8D1 was awesome today! I felt great and felt like I could just keep going. Why can't all runs be like that? :)

My kids had a blast trick-or-treating...now I need to keep my hands out of their candy! It is a fairly big deal here, but we didn't get as many kids in our neighborhood as we have in years past. Still a fun time!

Return to “Progress Reports & Introductions”