Introduction - My first 5k

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
chrisnelsonusa

Introduction - My first 5k

Post by chrisnelsonusa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:52 am

At 330 pounds I am starting the c25k program. My first day I was not able to do the first 30 minutes, but tonight I finished it. I was not able to run all the time it told me to run, but I did run about 40 seconds each time, with a couple that I pushed extremely hard and managed to get through the 60 second run.

My plan is to probably repeat week one next week in order to at least be able to run through each time you are supposed to run. I do not have a 5k set up yet for my completion of the program, but I am looking online to find one. Regardless, I want to get into shape, weight loss is a goal, but most important is to be able to keep up with my 11 year old son. Wish me luck and I will keep you all posted.
Last edited by chrisnelsonusa on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
No matter how many times I read the book, the tortoise wins the race. - Dave Ramsey

Big Woods 5k 2012 - 43:44
Red White and Boom Half Marathon 2013 - 3:02:00
Longest run 13.65 miles

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

clazabella

Re: Introduction

Post by clazabella » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 am

Just wishing you good luck and to say stick with it, it becomes a little easier every week. I have never ever found any of the runs easy and struggle with every single one but have just finished week 4 to my utter amazement and if i can do it, anyone can. Best of luck :D
7 weeks of C25K completed end of 2012...bout of injury and sickness stopped it dead in it's tracks
Wk 4 10k runner completed 08/01/2013

chrisnelsonusa

Post by chrisnelsonusa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 am

Ok, I have finished week 1 run 3 tonight, actually on the 4th run, but this time I did not walk any time that I was supposed to be running. I can imagine the surprise when the neighbors down the block heard me yelling. Despite several bouts with "just do it tomorrow, or the next day" running through my head, I pushed on. This may not seem too big of an accomplishment for some, but trust me, this is a historical achievement for me. As one of the tips I read on this site, I am bragging to everyone who will listen and even those who won't listen.

I have found that through the runs, I have reached different milestones with each run. My first run, I completed it with a lot of walking, second run I walked the last 20 seconds of the last 3 jogss of the 8, third run I walked one time for about 10 seconds and was furious when I realized it was so close to finishing the run. Tonight I decided come what may, I was going to get through the run the whole way and I found the strength to do it. There was an incredible light show outside tonight with the storms that only put the icing on the cake.

Now I can type the following on the end of all my posts:

Chris
Week one completed August 1st 2012.
Chris
No matter how many times I read the book, the tortoise wins the race. - Dave Ramsey

Longest run 13.65 miles

bjp999

Post by bjp999 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:04 am

Chris - awesome job committing yourself to running. People (including me) here constantly amaze themselves that they can run distances they never believed possible in just a few weeks.

But many people injure themselves too, because of the pounding the knees, feet, and ankles take. Your entire body weight is coming down hard on one foot at a time several times a second. No doubt running is about the most stressful exercise there is on the legs and feet. Being overweight magnifies this stress. And these types of injuries tend to become the nagging type, and ones that can make just walking and other forms of exercise very difficult. Walking, cycling, and/or using an elliptical machine provide similar exercise benefits for people trying to get back in shape, with much less risk to your joints. They also allow you to exercise for longer periods of time and burn more calories than running, in which you must follow a slow progression due to its intensity and stress on the joints.

Sorry to be a damper on your running enthusiasm, but would hate to see you get hurt running at over 300 lbs.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

chrisnelsonusa

Post by chrisnelsonusa » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:26 am

So I finished run 1 of week 2 today and while I read the information from bpj, I am not deterred from my goal. I know that was not your intent, you were just sharing some wisdom with me. As many people have noted before and will again, the decision to run is a personal one and you have to listen to your own body for aches and pains. What I can say about that is the following, each time I run, I feel incredible after the run. Not only is there a sense of victory in the runs, but a slow progression forward.

Suffice it to say that going fast is not something I can do, the runs are more like a snail on steroids, but it is not a walking step and it covers only slightly more ground than my brisk walk. Tonight I found the 90 second runs remarkably easier than my 60 second runs last week, but one big difference in the environment, it is 50 degrees outside in Minnesota tonight compared to lower 80's when I did my runs last week.

I also did something I have not done since high school, in the stretching prior to the run, I wondered if I could touch my toes, well not possible prior to the run, but afterwards when my muscles were completely warmed up, I slowly bent over and did. I graduated in 1988 so that would put almost 25 years since I was able to do that. Not bad for an fat middle aged man. Another post suggested that you should check your resting heart rate to see how things are progressing, and I happened to donate blood about 3 weeks before the start of the program. They took my heart rate then and I took it yesterday on my day off. It has slowed by about 3 beats per minute. So then I checked my blood pressure and compared the numbers. I was at 140/86 and right now I am at 140/79 without even a full cool down yet from the run tonight. I know that none of these are truly scientific (blood pressure cuff is probably the most scientific and it barely fits my arm). I have a dr's appt in a few weeks and that will really start to show whether this is affecting me in a positive fashion.

I have to say that I feel accomplishment and no pain other than the leg muscles during the run. That is to be expected and it is by no means crippling, nagging or anything other than them saying "Hey what are you doing, you don't run" to which I reply "I do now". I picked up a pedometer to further help me keep track of progress, I figure as long as I keep it slow and even I will do well. Not pushing other than to reach goals and if it is not possible, I will slow the program down and just keep at it.

Every time I read the book, the tortoise wins the race, just call me a tortoise with a trot to his step.

Chris
Chris

Longest run 13.65 miles

clazabella

Post by clazabella » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 am

Just wanted to say fantastic job Chris! Good luck :D
7 weeks of C25K completed end of 2012...bout of injury and sickness stopped it dead in it's tracks

chrisnelsonusa

Post by chrisnelsonusa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:14 am

So Sunday I was walking down the stairs in our house and stepped on a tape roll, when my leg failed me, my other leg caught me two steps down. I felt a sharp pain in my knee and all I thought was "I start running and hurt my knee falling down the steps... I took a day off of running and bought a knee brace. When I realized it did not hurt to walk on it, I decided to give it a shot and do my run tonight. Luckily the impact of running does not hurt at all, it is only when I try to bend my knee full that it hurts!

So run 2 on week 2 done.

I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and continued support. This is a great group of people to run with!

Chris
Chris

Longest run 13.65 miles

chrisnelsonusa

Post by chrisnelsonusa » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:45 pm

So I did not finish Week 2 earlier in the week as I was scheduled, each time I tried to run the course of what I had already completed, I had shin splints flaring to the point where I had to walk a bit. Funny part of that is that the shin splints hurt worse when I was walking. I just could not get myself through it. Today I decided to stretch longer and started walking a bit before I did the run to make sure I was fully warmed up. I also should say something else, I downloaded the Christian Indies podcast for week 1 and 2 and that will help color the rest of my story today.

I got started on the run and was able to get through the first and second running time, each time praying for God to help and give me strength and tolerance to push past the shin splints and keep moving. On the third and fourth run I really had to lean on Him to keep going. I kept feeling a breeze when I needed it and my mind wandered to the surroundings when the thoughts of quitting came to mind. Run # 5 was tough, the whole while pushing and praying that I would find some strength to continue. Halfway through #5, I got a cramp in my side, stupid me I did not drink much water before the run and was cramping up in my side.

I should say something here to fill in some history now, I attended a weekend retreat about 6 years ago that changed my life. This retreat is called Cursillo and the verse for the weekend was 2 Corinthians 12:9 and this has given me the ability to do things that I thought were not possible before. I never before had it push me like it was going to today. The verse is "And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness." My understanding was always that when someone who is weak accomplishes something incredible, it is proof that God imparted strength to the person in order to do it. In context, Paul is the recipient of this answer when he begged God to remove the "thorn in his side".

As I was mumbling prayers to God to provide me strength and help me keep going, I said "Oh and now I have a cramp, God, please get rid of this pain." Then my weekend verse came back to me and I started laughing. If God was not going to remove the "thorn" from Paul's side, he certainly was not going to remove it from mine. The weird thing is that while I was running, I was laughing, half in my head and half out loud as I huffed and puffed down the road. The whole time I was running, I kept thinking that God was chuckling as he realized that I got it. "Thatta boy, now you get it, I will get you through it, I will not take it from you. Then you know that I did it, not you." See, I have a problem with pride and God needed to remind me that I breathe because He allows it. Then the guy in the podcast said, "Congratulations, you can walk now."

I never would have made it if it were not for Him distracting me. Thanks to God, I managed to finish week 2 run 3. My knee is doing great, still does not hurt when I run. Wearing a knee brace most of the time to protect it, but the worst problem I encounter is a stiffness that is not present in my other knee.

I have to say, that I am beginning to enjoy running. Don't get me wrong, it hurts as I do it, but I feel so much better during the day after I run. The energy I am getting consistently amazes me and I feel much better overall. Still have not lost much weight, but the weight is being redistributed. I have more muscle in my legs and my oversized stomach is receding a bit, little more floppy than normal. Feels good when my wife can close her hands behind my back when she gives me a hug. Talk to you on the flip side of week 3.

Chris
Week two completed August 12th 2012
Chris

Longest run 13.65 miles

clazabella

Post by clazabella » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 am

You are doing fabulous...keep up the good work!

chrisnelsonusa

Post by chrisnelsonusa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:32 am

So, I finished run 1 of week 3 last night and all I can say is 3 minutes never seemed so long in my life. I made it though.

I wanted to ask anyone else who is reading this the same question I asked a few coworkers who are runners and have graduated from the program already. Last night on the second 3 minute run, I was draggggggginnnngggg. I mean my brisk walk was probably much faster than my jog, but I continued on with a running stride. I know this will improve throughout the week and weeks to come, I thought I was going to die at 60 seconds, now I can run that easily.

My question is, if you can manage to keep a running stride, as slow as it may be, do you keep pushing to run the next week's plan to improve endurance, or do you redo the week you are on to improve your speed. Another thing of note that may have some bearing on the question, my pedometer said that I covered 1.5 miles from the first walking step to the final walking step of the 30 minute program. That is with 5 minutes pre and post walking and 20 minutes interval running.

The program and my coworkers stressed to keep working the times and not worry about distance, that will come in time when my speed increases. I tend to feel the same way, but wanted input from others who have tried.

On a positive note, I have lost 5 pounds now and have managed to keep it off for a week with a slow progression downwards. Time to start crash dieting...Just kidding, this feels great and each time after I run, I have a feeling that I think runners call a "runners high". I had no idea how good I would feel doing this program.

Chris
Week two completed August 12th 2012
Chris

Longest run 13.65 miles

Return to “Progress Reports & Introductions”