Finished Another C25K

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Moving Backwards

Finished Another C25K

Post by Moving Backwards » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:29 pm

After an extended winter pause I got back on the horse and worked through the C25K program again. This is my second year in a row and I have some thoughts to share.

The most important takeaway is that if you can walk to the fridge, the program is doable. I'm now 54, have an arthritic ankle, no cartilage in one knee, started this year about 40 lbs overweight -- probably more -- and I now run three miles at about a 13/14 min/mile pace. As I write this I'm wearing a shirt I haven't been able to fit into for three years.

The second learning is that one should really follow the regimen to the letter. I didn't last year and injured myself a couple times. I've been orthodox with the regimen this year and I went through the nine weeks without an issue. The rest days are hugely important.

It's been easier this year and I seem to run faster. Better conditioning (last year's C25K) and, I just about completely stopped alcohol consumption.

As a build over last, this time I'm running for distance whereas last year I ran for time. So, my 5K time is over 40 minutes. I enjoy it and don't really care.

I'll sign off by saying that I'm deeply appreciative of the program. I am also indebted to all those who post here and the history of the posts. With a couple minutes effort you can pretty much find your parallel situation with lots of good advice.

Thanks Cool Running Guys and Gals for putting this program together.

Moving Backwards

Re: Finished Another C25K

Post by Moving Backwards » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Wanted to add one thing. I've seen in some chats that you shouldn't worry about form, you just need to run.

Well, I have modest issues with my ankle and knee. So, while I keep the pace manageable I do focus a fair amount on form throughout my run. I think about posture, swinging my arms and most especially how and where my feet land. Of course, much easier to manage when you're running regularly and have built up some strength.

By the by, ran a 5k this morning and knocked two and half minutes off my best time.

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:56 am

Congrats on completing your 2nd trip through C25k! I did the same thing - worked on distance my 2nd time through.

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

rfmf23a

Post by rfmf23a » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Congratulations on finishing your second trip thru c25K!!

After graduating myself a few months ago, I'm amazed how much better I feel with the increased exercise ~3x a week).

For those of you reading/trolling around trying to decide if you can do this, you can definitely do this! I can't speak for those people who are relatively in-shape and just want to learn to run races. But for the couch potatoes and out-of-shape crew, head the advice of others and follow the program, don't try to skip ahead, and remember, if you could be running any slower, you are running too fast. That's the best piece of advice I read on this board and it was a real difference maker for me.

Return to “Progress Reports & Introductions”