I desperately need help!

Moderators: mish, briandk, knoddie

Forum rules
Samzacem

I desperately need help!

Post by Samzacem » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi I am brand new to this forum And am looking for help. I have a goal of entering a Duathlon April 17th 2016. it is a bike run 2 miles of running six and a half biking, 2 more miles of running then six and a half biking then wrapped up with two miles of running. I've been working out for about 5 months now, I began with simple circuit training and yoga, and have since added a dumbbell workout program lifting weights. I've been on the treadmill for probably Two months of that time Doing the occasional cardio walk and so on. for about a month or so I began taking running more serious, I experienced a lot of. calf tightness and 1st which is expected but have not gotten very far with the whole breathing thing. if I do a 30 minute walk jog I pretty much put in -two 4 minute jog max meaning I cannot go past that. I jog as quietly as possible but between my calves and being out of breath I am completely done after 4 minutes. I'm 5 10 and weigh 215, I've lost over 15 pounds and packed on some weight in muscle. I workout my legs twice a week doing lunges and full extended squats so I'm very discouraged and why I am still so fatigued. I also bike on a trainer a few days a week. to add to it all my running is on a treadmill which generally should be easier on me which makes me wonder how truly bad I will do outside in the elements on harder surfaces...please help, I have some fairly serious fitness goals this season, 1st for me and Ive really stuck it to it but if i cant complete this duathlon it will be a big hit to me

PhotoBob

Re: I desperately need help!

Post by PhotoBob » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:33 pm

You really need to build up your cardio, and the best way to do that is to run more. Try slowing down and allowing your body/lungs get adjusted to working so hard and then slowly add distance. Building up running distance is a slow process and you may not be able to do it in time for a race in April.

As for the tight calves - foam roll them several times a day to help loosen them up and especially after running or biking. If you don't have a foam roller - get a tennis ball and use that to roll out your muscles.

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Samzacem

Post by Samzacem » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:30 am

Thanks! The more I ve been searching, the more it seems to be expected. Im just having a hard time realizing that it takes that much just to get ready to be able to run. Im starting the "double run" program this week. Im past quite a bit of the beginning stages of running like shin splints in all that stuff. I'm hoping the fact that I've been running for about a month and then lifting weights for a couple of months Will bring me to the point where I can still run The two mile intervals needed for the Duathlon I've entered. I really don't have a problem doing a run jog walk as long as the walking is very minimal. I am willing to put the time and effort into training for this, is there anything else that I could add to this program that would get me ready? Thanks again!

Samzacem

Post by Samzacem » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:08 am

I forgot to mention I include the occasional ice bath for my legs and just began using compression socks that go up tomy knees. I'm not sure if this stuff hurts more or helps, what a nice bath would certainly reduce inflammation. And all this running program it just started if I decide to walk on my treadmill for any. Of time throughout the day Would it mess things up or make it better. the program is 3 days a week I figured I could do a walk on the off days. Would this be good?

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:38 am

Walking on your in-between days is okay as long as you don't push things too hard (no drastic incline or hard/fast walks) - your body needs time to recoup after beating it up by running. Running is very hard on the body and rest days are important to help it rebuild.

Some folks swear by compression socks and other think it's hogwash. If it works for you - then great - keep on using them. Ice baths may be taking thing a little too far when just icing the sore spots will due, but if it's helping I don't think there's any harm in it.

Bob S.
"One step, then the next - gets you where you're going" - Sister Creep

C25K Grad: 7/19/09
5K PR: 26:08| 10K PR: 54:49
5M PR: 43:02 | 10M PR: 1:27:58
HM PR: 1:58:07
Longest Run to Date: 15 miles

Samzacem

Post by Samzacem » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks again for answering my questions... :D I feel better knowing it's not just me :idea:

Return to “General”